Departs and Operates
Tour Type: Exclusive Private Tour
Vehicle: Car or Van
Departs: 8:00am or 1:30pm
Returns: 12:00am 5:30pm
Duration: Approx. 4 hours
Pick-up: Your midtown Hotel
• This tour will take you to some of the more modern aspects of Beijing, and give you some insight into the rapidly developing superpower that is modern-day China. You’ll see the architectural wonders of the Beijing Linked Hybrid and the CCTV Building, while also witnessing the hustling and bustling activity of Beijing’s Central Business District.
• You’ll take a tour through Beijing’s 798 Art Zone. What was once a dreary factory is now a thriving artist community, and is a little piece of the bohemian lifestyle in Beijing. Some have even compared it to New York’s Greenwich Village or SOHO
• A professional English-speaking guide, who is also a native of Beijing, which will make your tour informative, fun, and worry-free, will accompany you on your tour!
1. You will be picked up from your hotel, and we will drive to the Dashanzi 798 Art Zone, which is located on the eastern edge of the city. On the way there we will pass through the Beijing Linked Hybrid. Also known as MOMA Phase 2, it is adjacent to the north-east corner of old city wall of Beijing. The complex is designed by the American architect Steven Holl. It has been selected by Time magazine as one of ten best new architectural marvels in the world and is an ultra-modern expression of 21st Century ecological urban living.
2. We will arrive at the 798 Art Zone. The area occupied by Beijing 798 Art Zone was once the place for the Beijing North China Wireless Joint Equipment Factory. Afterwards, the corporation moved out of the Dashanzi District and leased those plants (798 factory being one of them). The architectural style, featuring simple design and varied composition, follows the Bauhaus way. Attracted by ordered design, convenient traffic, unique style of Bauhaus architecture, many art organizations and artists came to rent the vacant plants and transformed them. Gradually there formed a district gathering galleries, art studios, cultural companies, fashion shops etc. As the area where the early art organizations and artists moved in was located in the original area of the 798 plant, this place was named Beijing 798 Art Zone. It is now often likened to New York's Greenwich Village or SOHO. We will take a tour of the 798 Art Zone, passing through a few interesting art galleries and exhibitions along the way.
3. On our way back from the 798 Art Zone, we will go by the new CCTV Building. This new architectural marvel comprises of two L-shaped high-rise towers connected at the top and the bottom at an angle to form a loop. Described as a 'Z' criss-cross, the looped tower is often dubbed as "a twisted doughnut" or "'the pants". As with the Olympic Structures, the 798 Art Zone, and the Linked Hybrid, the CCTV Building is a good example of the new modern forces taking hold of Beijing. The CCTV tower will employ 10,000 people and will allow China State Television to broadcast some 200 channels against the present limited 16 channels.
4. We will also take a driving tour of Beijing’s Central Business District, or as it is commonly referred to, the CBD. The Beijing CBD is the primary area of finance, media, and business services in Beijing. The Beijing CBD occupies 3.99 km2 of the Chaoyang District on the east side of the city. Geographically situated to the east of the city center, sandwiched between the 3rd Ring Road and the 4th Ring Road, the Beijing CBD is currently undergoing large-scale development. Currently undergoing large-scale redevelopment, the CBD, is home to most of Beijing’s skyscrapers, such as the China World Trade Center and Jianwai SOHO.
5. Before arriving at your hotel, we will stop at the Gaobeidian Antique Furniture Street, a traditional market bazaar, for a little browsing. As the name implies this market specializes in classic furniture. It is not unheard of to get something on less than 50% of the original asking price by bargaining. If you need some help your guide will be happy to help you out!
6. You will be dropped off back at your hotel, ending your tour.